Course purpose and descripton
The purpose of this course is to give the diver an overview of 5 different specialties, 2 core, and 3 additional SDI Specialties. The two core specialties are, SDI Deep and Navigation. One dive, from each of the specialties, may apply toward a complete specialty certification. Overhead environments and non-diving specialties are not allowed, and do not count toward the 3 chosen specialties. If computer nitrox is to be used as one of the elected specialties, the instructor must be an SDI Computer Nitrox Instructor.This course includes five dives in the open water - one dive for each chosen speciality.
Following specialisations are available for training
- Deep diver
- Underwater Navigation
- Advanced buoyancy control (Buoyancy course)
- Boat diver (Dives from a boat)
- Computer diver (Dives with computer)
- Computer Nitrox diver (Dives with Nitrox with the use of computer)
- Diver Propulsion Vehicle (Dives with scooter)
- Drift diver (Dives into water currents)
- Night/Low visibility diver (Dives in the conditions of limited visibility)
- Wreck diver (Dives at sunken objects)
Open Water Execution
- Five dives are required with complete briefs and debriefs by the instructor;
- One dive must be deeper than 20 metres / 60 feet but not deeper than 30 metres /100ft Divers between the ages of 10 and 15 cannot exceed 21metres / 70 feet;
- One dive must be a navigation dive;
- Dive plans must include surface interval, maximum no-decompression time, etc. to be figured out and logged;
- Each dive will be the first dive of each of the specialties i.e. dive one of deep course, dive one of navigation course, etc.
Essential prerequisites for participants
- SDI Open Water Scuba Diver or Junior Open Water Diver certificates;
- Minimal age - 18 (eighteen) years; age from 10 (ten) to 17 (seventeen) years - with written permission of parents.